Speaking Task: Agree or Disagree: “You cannot understand a city without using its public transportation system.” Erol Ozan
You have 2 minutes to talk.
When responding to the statement, you may follow this format:
1. Agree or disagree.
2. Express your opinion (a clear standpoint).
3. Give reasons (arguments) with examples.
4. Optional: Present the opposing view and show contrast.
5. Restate (repeat) your opinion (and summarize your main point).
- Totally agree with Erol Ozan’s quote, “You can’t really know a city without taking its public transportation.”
- In my opinion, using public transportation is essential to truly experience and understand a city.
- Firstly, public transportation allows us to explore different neighborhoods and areas that we might not come across otherwise. When we hop on a bus or train, we get to see the city from a local’s perspective and discover hidden gems and local hangouts. It helps us get a sense of the city’s diversity and character.
- Secondly, using public transportation helps us interact with the city’s residents. We get to observe their daily routines, engage in conversations, and experience the city’s atmosphere firsthand. It gives us a glimpse into the local culture and allows us to connect with the people who call the city home.
- Some might argue that using other modes of transportation or walking can also provide a good understanding of a city. While that’s true to some extent, public transportation offers a unique and comprehensive view. It takes us through different neighborhoods, exposes us to the city’s public spaces, and gives us a real sense of how people move around and interact within the urban environment.
- To sum it up, if we really want to understand a city, we need to embrace its public transportation system. It allows us to explore diverse areas, connect with locals, and fully immerse ourselves in the city’s vibe.